Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Mash 4 ripe bananas (set aside)
in a small bowl put 1 cup yogurt (any flavor) You can also use sour cream instead of yogurt
add 2 tsp. baking soda to the yogurt, stir and let it foam
in mixer, cream 1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
add banana mixture and 1 tsp. salt, mix
add yogurt and 2 1/2 cups of flour (fold in)
makes 2 large loaves or 4 mini
bake at 350 for 50 minutes
*I like to make a couple batches of banana bread for my kids lunches. I cut it into slices and put each piece in a sandwich bag and stick them in the freezer. Then I can throw them in their lunches and it is easy, and so much healthier then a store bought dessert.*
Sunday, August 8, 2010
***** WARNING******* Do not make this unless you have someone to share it with, or you WILL eat the entire pan!!
- 1.5 sleeves of saltine crackers
- 1 stick (4 oz) butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Arrange the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet so that there are no empty spaces in between them.
3. Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir while the butter melts, and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Once boiling, carefully pour the sugar-butter mixture over the crackers on the baking sheet in an even layer, trying to cover most of the crackers. If you miss some spots, don’t worry as the toffee will spread in the oven.
4. Bake the toffee crackers at 350 degrees for five minutes, until the toffee is bubbling all over. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for one minute.
5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the hot toffee, and allow them to sit for one minute to soften and melt. Once softened, use an offset spatula or knife to spread the melted chocolate over the entire surface of the toffee in an even layer. .
6. Refrigerate the pan to set the toffee and chocolate for about 30 minutes. Once set, break into small uneven pieces by hand, and enjoy! Store uneaten saltine toffee in an airtight container for up to a week.
---- I first had this at Missy's as a treat while watching the Bachelorette. I like this because it serves its purpose well when you need a treat but have none in the house. You pretty much always have these ingredients. Enjoy!!